The announcement comes the day the Harvey Weinstein trial begins in New York. The fallen Hollywood tycoon has been charged in Los Angeles with two new sexual assault cases in 2013, the Los Angeles County Attorney's Office announced on Monday (January 6th).
Harvey Weinstein is charged with breaking into a hotel room where a woman was staying to rape her, on February 18, 2013, and then assaulting another in a Beverly Hills hotel room the next day, according to a statement from counsel Jackie Lacey. The identities of the two victims were not specified.
"We believe the evidence will establish that the accused used his power and influence to gain access to his victims and then commit violent crimes against them", says Mme Lacey, who "Congratulate the victims" for having the courage to testify.
The film producer, accused of multiple sexual abuse by stars or anonymous women, faces up to 28 years in prison if convicted in California. The prosecutor's office has requested bail of $ 5 million. Launched two years ago following initial complaints, the investigation continues into allegations against Harvey Weinstein, including in Los Angeles and Beverly Hills. Last week, a spokesperson for the Los Angeles attorney's office said it was working on eight cases.