Prime Minister Boris Johnson placed in intensive care

Police guard the entrance to St. Thomas Hospital after Boris Johnson was taken there in London on April 6. SIMON DAWSON / REUTERS

He gave the change until the end, tweeting again on Monday April 6 at noon from his hospital bed that " the morale is good ". But the disease has caught up with Boris Johnson, 55, who had to be placed in intensive care Monday night at London's St. Thomas Hospital, after being tested positive for coronavirus ten days earlier.

This alarming deterioration in the British Prime Minister's health comes at a very complicated time for the United Kingdom, which passed the 5,000 death toll on Monday but still faces the worst: the epidemic peak n is not expected before a week to ten days.

Read also Coronavirus live: nearly 9,000 dead in France, the British Prime Minister in intensive care

Dominic Raab, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Acting Head of Government as First Secretary of State, to take over from Boris Johnson "Where necessary", said Downing Street. "Prime Minister receives excellent care and thanks NHS staff (the British hospital system) for their work and dedication ".

Boris Johnson had tested positive on the night of March 26 and immediately confined himself to an apartment at 11 Downing Street, the residence adjoining the famous 10 Downing Street. He spent the past week there, continuing to chair the government's daily "Covid-19" meetings by videoconference, with Dominic Raab, Minister of State Michael Gove, Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak and Secretary for the health Matt Hancock, in conjunction with medical advisor Chris Whitty and scientific advisor Patrick Vallance.

Johnson also posted two short videos, encouraging the British to respect containment. And even went down briefly to his door, Thursday, April 2 at 8 p.m., to cheer with millions of other British NHS personnel.

"His condition has deteriorated"

But while Matt Hancock, also tested positive, was emerging from his forties apparently without problems, the Prime Minister still presented a "High fever" Friday April 3. He held until the historic speech of Queen Elizabeth II, Sunday, April 5 in the evening.

Half an hour after moving "We will meet again someday" by which the sovereign concluded her speech, Downing Street announced that it was "Admitted to hospital for tests". And if Monday noon, it "Ruled" again from his hospital bed and there "Stayed as a precaution, due to persistent symptoms "In the course of the afternoon, "His condition deteriorated and, on the advice of his medical team, he was placed in intensive care", said Downing Street.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here