Update on the situation in France: 1 death, 11 cured, and 2 new cases
Of the fourteen confirmed cases in France of infection with the new coronavirus, a Chinese man died in Paris, 11 other patients are cured and two new cases were declared on Tuesday.
- A deceased octogenarian
After several days in intensive care at Bichat hospital in Paris, an 80-year-old Chinese tourist died on February 14. His death, announced the following day, was the very first officially registered in Europe. Arrived in France on January 23, this man from the province of Hubei had initially consulted the emergency room of the European Georges-Pompidou hospital on January 25 but had not been identified as a suspect case because he did not did not meet the criteria. He had a fever but no cough or respiratory signs and was not from Wuhan, the epicenter of the epidemic, but from a city 400 km to the north. He then developed breathing problems that prompted a change in his ranking and the test came back positive on January 28.
– A Chinese couple, who was among the first cases announced on January 24, left the hospital on February 12. The 31-year-old man and 30-year-old woman from Wuhan arrived in France on January 18.
– On February 13, a 48-year-old patient was able to go out after 22 days of hospitalization in Bordeaux. This man of Chinese origin had returned to France on January 22 after having notably passed through Wuhan. He had been hospitalized after presenting to SOS-Doctors with cough and fever. According to the medical team, he was treated with remdesivir, a "promising" antiviral.
– A doctor hospitalized at Pitié-Salpêtrière, in Paris, was released on February 14. This first proven case of transmission on French soil had been announced on January 30: it was a liberal doctor who was infected by a Chinese patient, then left for Taiwan where he declared the disease. The head of the infectious diseases department of this hospital, Professor Eric Caumes, said that this patient had undergone an experimental treatment, based on molecules used "in other viral diseases".
– Six British, including a child, had been contaminated by a compatriot returning from Singapore whom they had encountered in a chalet in Contamines-Montjoie (Haute-Savoie) where he had stayed a few days at the end of January before returning to his country. Hospitalized in Grenoble, Lyon and Saint-Etienne, they have all been able to come out since.
As for the 14th case, it is'"a French man returning from a stay in Lombardy and who is currently hospitalized in the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region", a region bordering Italy, added the official. "His condition does not inspire concern" and the search for people he has had contact with is just starting, said Professor Salomon, without being able to give more details at this stage on this person.